CAN YOU GIVE US A RECAP OF LAST SEASON:
We had a successful season and believe we can improve this year. Our top five scorers were freshmen and we won our conference by 30 points. We quickly rose in the state rankings ending the year in 3rd place. As long as our athletes continue to follow the program, I truly believe we can compete for the state championship.
KEY RETURNING PLAYERS AND WHAT ARE YOU EXPECTING FROM THEM?
We are expecting all of our returners to come back. They need to set positive examples for the whole team and to continue to develop as successful student-athletes in order to transfer to a four-year university.
OUR TOP RETURNERS INCLUDE:
- Isaiah Labra, 2018 PCAC XC Champion, 2019 PCAC 1500m/5K Champion, 2018 CCCAA XC All American (3rd Place), 2019 USATF Junior Nationals Qualifier 5K, 2019 Ranked 2nd in the Nation for 5K (14:33) Community College
- Stefen Rasmuson, 2019 CCCAA 5K State Champion, 2018 CCCAA XC All American (5th Place), 2019 USATF Junior Nationals Qualifier 5K, 2019 Ranked 6th in the Nation for 5K (14:38) Community College
- Bobby Brana, 2019 CCCAA All American 3k Steeplechase (4th Place), 2018 PCAC XC All-Conference (4th Place), 2018 CCCAA XC State Championships (39th Place), 2019 Ranked 10th in the Nation for 3K Steeplechase (9:28) Community College
- Medhane Woldu, 2019 PCAC 10K (3rd Place), 2018 CCCAA XC State Championships (71st Place)
- Ian Ibarra, 2018 CCCAA XC State Championships (48th Place), 15:30 5K Personal Best
- Cristian Alcantar, 2018 PCAC XC All-Conference (8th Place), 2018 CCCAA XC State Championships (44th Place)
NEW ADDITIONS TO THE TEAM:
We have a talented and deep recruiting class.
We are expecting these athletes to buy into the program, work hard and contribute immediately.
Some of our top recruits include:
- Franky Varela (San Pasqual HS)- 4:24 (1600m), 9:25 (3200m), 15:04 XC (Mt. Sac), 4th Place at 2018 SD CIF Div. 2 XC Finals
- Esteban Magana (Southwest HS)- 1:57 (800m), 4:17 (1600m), 9:45 (3200m), 5th Place at 2019 SD CIF Finals 1600m, 16:23 5K XC
- Carson Sanchez (Grossmont HS)- 1:56 (800m), 4:38 (1600m), 9:54 (3200m), 16:36 5K XC
- Joey Hart (El Capitan HS)- 4:38 (1600m), 9:52 (3200m), 16:38 5K XC
TELL US THE TYPE OF TEAM WE WILL BE:
Our team will have quality depth and will be focused on team dynamics and progressing throughout the season in order to earn and win a state championship.
TELL US ABOUT OUR CONFERENCE COMPETITION:
We have a very competitive conference. SD City College, Cuyamaca College, and San Bernardino Valley College have a rich tradition and are always very strong. We will be focused on repeating as conference champions, and having individual athletes earn all-conference honors.
WHAT ARE YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM THIS TEAM:
Our goal every year is to develop our student-athletes properly both on and off the field. We focus on having our runners transfer or be on track to transfer to a four-year university. We need to stay healthy, trust the process, and continue the legacy of the SD Mesa Cross Country program.